Rebuilding Day’s Lock c 1880

Thames Conservancy workmen use a so-called 'ringing engine', a piling machine, to help rebuild Day's Lock Weir, near Little Wittenham, in about 1880. The Thames Conservancy, formed in 1857, inherited what we would now call a decaying infrastructure and spent many years improving the river. (Information courtesy of Oxfordshire County Council - Picture Oxon - Taunt Collection)

Reproduction postcard - Unused - Henry W Taunt c 1880 (Ref: PC_DorchDays2)

For enquiries about this site contact the Webmaster